02 Dec Quick Ways to Maintain Your Fitness Goals Through The Busy Holidays
“Make Every Movement Count”!
By Donna M. Jenkins, MHA, BHCM, RMA, CPT (SizeWize Fitness Coach)
Happy Holidays SizeWizers! Many of you are preparing for the “Holiday Madness” as we speak and are wondering how in the world are you going to be able to take care of the unrelenting and time draining activities such as the office parties, family dinners and mad dashes to beat the crowds for those incredible sales and last minute shopping. These often unavoidable tasks are undoubtedly time consuming and can sabotage your well intentions to stay in shape but I have some great news for you! There are simple and easy ways to fit in some exercise while meeting the demands of your schedule. The Key is to “Make Every Movement Count and Fit it In Where you Can Get It In”!
- Get To It Early!
- Set your clock 30 mins to 1hr earlier than normal to get up and get a brisk walk in before you start your tasks or do your normal routine at home.
- Take Advantage of the Walk!
- Bundle up on those cold days and park your car towards the back of the parking lot to increase the steps that you would normally take. Take the stairs if you have the option and take the entrance and exit to the store furthest from your parking place. (Be mindful of course of your safety).
- Speed walking to jogging (jogging only for advanced exercisers). Warm up with a normal walk for 2 to 3 mins, increase speed to your maximum ability for about 3 to 5 mins then jog for another 3 to 5 mins and then start all over again until you have reached your goal of 45 minutes to 1 hour of exercise. Use small hand weights to increase the intensity.
- Maximize the Workout in Less Time! Exercise At Home!
- Incorporate interval training and core exercises to use fewer moves to burn more calories in less time. Use full body exercises that use multiple muscle groups such as pushups (wall or knee modified if necessary), planks, jumping jacks and squat to overhead press (chair squats if necessary and use weighted objects at home instead of exercise weights if you don’t have them. Be careful to use items that are stable). (Example: Canned Goods, Filled Water Bottles, Exercise Bands, etc.) Tip: Use the SizeWize Notebook for Exercise Suggestions
- Turn on your favorite dance songs and get some cardio by practicing those dance moves that you once knew and long to try again. Don’t worry….Nobody is looking and perfect choreography is not required!
- Find an Accountability Partner
- Having someone to hold you to your promise to exercise is by far one of the most effective ways to stay on target. Call up your team mate the night before and have them set an alarm as a reminder to meet for exercise class.
- Shopping is more fun in pairs and the two of you can encourage each other to walk the stairs or even jog to the car on the way out.
- An accountability partner will push you when you don’t want to be pushed.
Remember that it only takes a one or two missed classes to lose momentum and give an excuse to forgo exercise altogether, so use the excitement of the holidays to stay in shape by “Making Every Movement Count and Fitting It In Where you Can Get It In”!
Tamara BrownPosted at 04:18h, 09 December
Great tips! I especially like the dancing for Cardio! It doesn’t even feel like I am working out because I am havig so much fun AND I can get my whole family involved!